Re: Maven upgrade to version 3.1.0

On 07/22/2013 01:01 AM, Mikolaj Izdebski wrote:
> I think that older versions of these plugins depend on Sonatype Aether,
> while the latest versions use Eclipse Aether.  Updating them should be
> fairly easy.

The only one that I noticed requiring eclipse-aether was
maven-dependency-plugin. That is why I did not quite follow that list. I
did not have trouble upgrading to the latest maven plugins using maven
3.0.5. But, I could be remembering something incorrectly.

Since the package names are different, you can keep both versions of
aether around for the time being in order to avoid the circular
dependency until the very end when maven 3.0.5 itself is upgraded.

> I didn't know that, but what would indeed be a very bad thing as it
> means that in order to build Maven (with all dependencies) you would
> need to have full Eclipse, which currently starts using Maven to build.

Tycho is a dependency of sisu-inject/sisu-plexus, one of which is a
direct dependency of maven 3.1.0. I do not understand why upstream never
seems to care about introducing so many dependencies like this,
especially in a supposedly minor update.

> Where is Google Guice used?  I guess at Eclipse side only.  Maven used
> Sisu Guice since I remember.

I forget which, but one of sisu-inject/sisu-plexus has a dependency on
google-guice 3.0, and the other on sisu-guice. You are correct that
maven itself uses sisu-guice and I would assume that the dependency on
google-guice is may be an oversight. It should not be difficult to get
everything using a single version of sisu-guice if you wish. Again,
upstream does not seem to have anyone worrying about these sorts of issues.