Re: Maven upgrade to version 3.1.0

On 07/21/2013 07:28 AM, David Walluck wrote:
> On 07/18/2013 02:24 AM, Aleksandar Kurtakov wrote:

I have already done that too.  The results are in Fedora git,
experimental branch.  Eclipse Aether is not yet in rawhide, but that is
planned soon.

> If you're worried about the list for here,
> <http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/AetherClassNotFound>,
> I don't think that most of these have an actual dependency on
> eclipse-aether. I would just try to build these first, if you haven't
> already.

I think that older versions of these plugins depend on Sonatype Aether,
while the latest versions use Eclipse Aether.  Updating them should be
fairly easy.

> These upgrades are not circular upstream and don't depend on
> eclipse-aether. It's not as if eclipse-aether is an actual drop in
> replacement for aether. I am not sure I follow you as to why you just
> wait for upstream on this.
>
> Anyway, after writing all this, I think I understand why you called it
> circular if you are actually trying to get rid of sonatype at the same
> time you do the upgrades.

Exactly.  I can't just update aether package from Sonatype to Eclipse --
two aether versions are needed at the same time.  To build Maven 3.1.0
you need Maven 3.0.5, which uses Sonatype Aether, and Eclipse Aether,
which is a direct dependency of Maven.

And strictly speaking there are build-dependency cycles -- maven
requires itself, maven requires aether, aether requires maven.  There
are others too, involving plugins affected by Macvn 3.1.0 update.  For
example maven requires maven-dependency-plugin, which requires maven.

>>> This is fairly complicated process as there are circular package
>>> dependencies because of which several packages need to be updated at the
>>> same time.  I will ask release engineering to create a dedicated Koji
>>> tag in order not to break rawhide during the process.
>
> Certainly the new dependencies on tycho are other eclipse things are
> absolutely awful. It's even more ironic that maven 3.1.0 has a
> dependency on tycho when you have bug #985678 which claims that it does
> not even work with it.

I don't think Maven has dependency on Tycho.  I would certainly hope it
doesn't.

Bug #985678 is about Tycho not working with Maven 3.1.0.  Maven broke
it's internal API in 3.1.0 as some methods started using
org.eclipse.aether.* classes instead of org.sonatype.aether.* and I
believe that's the reason for Maven extensions, like Tycho or XMvn, not
working with 3.1.0.

> The components sisu-inject and sisu-plexus are really a pain and some
> use the type eclipse-plugin, which requires what component exactly (i
> can't recall right now)? I wonder if it can be switched back to jar and
> still work.

I didn't know that, but what would indeed be a very bad thing as it
means that in order to build Maven (with all dependencies) you would
need to have full Eclipse, which currently starts using Maven to build.

> One other thing to note: they can't seem to agree on which guice to use.
> There are dependencies on both google-guice and sisu-guice from sonatype.

Where is Google Guice used?  I guess at Eclipse side only.  Maven used
Sisu Guice since I remember.

--
Mikolaj Izdebski
Software Engineer, Red Hat