Re: Discussion on changing the name of Working Group

On 08/24/2016 11:27 AM, Kushal Das wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> During Flock PRD discussion, a proposal was put up about changing the
> name of the WG to Atomic. We have few open questions from last week's meeting. I
> will try to put those down here, if anyone wants to add to that list, or
> explain things better, please go ahead and reply to the thread :)
>
> * If we rename how to make sure that the users know that we are not
>   abandoning the cloud?
>
> * If we create a new group, then who else are still interested about
>   helping out the Cloud WG?
>
> * We will require new user stories related to Atomic. This also brings
>  in the question about old user stories in current PRD. They are still
>  mostly valid. PRD updation is surely one major point towards Atomic WG.
>
> * Who will maintain Atomic workstation? If it is workstation wg, then
>   how to reduce duplication of efforts?
>
> * What will happen to the Cloud Base image?
>
> * Who will maintain the Vagrant images?
>
> * What will happen to our effort to push Fedora to different public
>   cloud services? We have AMI(s) right now, we also push to Digital
>   Ocean.

Others have made some good comments in this thread. I'm really not as
concerned with these specific questions.

I think the deeper problem is that there needs to be (I think) a person
who is clearly identified to lead this effort (and ultimately this group).
I think a lot of times it is hard for contributors to make meaningful
contributions because the group is scattered and there is not really any
one person to ask for a definitive answer on things. Sometimes a user will
get a response back to a question/request/contribution, and sometimes not.
I'm not saying we need one person to do all of the work, or to even be
the expert in every area, but one person to at least know who is responsible
for each part and to track down when things don't get done.

As a group we haven't been very thorough and that has led to some
serious issues with some of our shipped bits at times. To be honest I
think we just need some dedicated leadership. Someone who crosses the
Ts and dots the Is and greases the skids so that it is easy to on-board
and make contributions. Hopefully this would lead to increased contribution
activity and a more vibrant community.

This is just my $.02.

Dusty