Re: Discussion on changing the name of Working Group

On 08/24/2016 08:07 PM, Colin Walters wrote:
> One thing that has certainly been on my
> mind is whether "Project Atomic" should dissolve more directly
> into the distributions, a bit like how the "Modularity" effort is more
> directly part of Fedora.  I'm not sure though, because we still need
> to maintain CentOS builds too.  Anyways this is a huge topic =)

Don't forget that Project Atomic is also currently a home for most of
our container tools, docker patches, etc.  And some things, like
rpm-ostree, need a place independant of, but connected to, the
distributions.

Plus, let's not drop an open source project name which is just starting
to get some name recognition.  If we were to "dissolve into the
distros", it would be seen by many potential users as abandoning the
project, not moving it around.

Mind you, the same goes for Cloud.  If we fold Cloud Base into Server --
which we should -- we'll need to do a bunch of community outreach
beforehand to make sure that people don't think we're abandoning our users.

Josh Berkus
Project Atomic
Red Hat OSAS