Re: Cloud Atomic ISO, missing items for baremetal usage

On Tue, Dec 15, 2015, 5:49 PM Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

It seems to me the easier thing to do is tolerate baking more stuff
into the images and ISO.

OK I just rewound this in my head, and said WTS out loud. There's one cloud atomic tree, right? So adding a bunch of hardware stuff affects that whole tree, and everything that uses it.

OK instead, more clarity on the downloads page the limitations of atomic ISO on baremetal, and offer instead Server ISO or netinstall media (non-atomic install) and picking the Cloud Server option in the installer for a more complete and flexible install on hardware.

I do still wonder about decoupling kernel from the tree. Kernel regressions happen.

Chris Murphy

rowing that list now, and shrinking it later
is a better understood process, can be done faster, and requires fewer
resources. And by later, I mean once spcs and overlay stuff are a.
more mature b. better understood c. people doing that work have time
to do it.

The hardware specific utils could go in a metapackage that's enabled
for installation by default only on the ISO, and not for images.

--
Chris Murphy