Re: Cloud Atomic ISO, missing items for baremetal usage

On Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 5:03 PM, Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 10:52:43AM +1100, Philip Rhoades wrote:
>> >A. Separate hardware/virt trees; have the installer ISO point at the
>> >   hardware one by default (but also have the option of virt)
>> >B. Finishing Atomic overlay support; making hardware enablement an
>> >overlay
>> >C. Getting all this stuff to work properly in SPCs
>> >D. Something else?
>> >
>> >* so is software. *sigh*
>> Does this mean there would be different hardware trees on the iso or
>> that a basic iso would be pulling the appropriate tree via the
>> network?
>
> Well, for "A", I was thinking one for hardware, one for virt/cloud —
> not going down the path of different trees for different types of
> hardware, because that's definitely the road to madness.
>
> For "B" (which is only theoretical, and as someone mentioned, may
> require cloning Colin), there could be different overlays depending on
> needs.
>
>> What are SPCs?
>
> Super-privileged containers. Basically, containers that are meant to
> manage the host OS. See
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJIeGnHtIYg from DevConf.cz last year.

Between ostree, spcs, fs options, and overlays, I think this is a lot
to chew off. And a lot of change in a short amount of time. That goes
for people doing the work, those who will have to document the
differences compared to conventional installs+setup+management, and
the users who will have to learn this.

A persistent spc to login to, to manage the host, is problematic for a
significant minority of use cases where the storage hardware changes
and now the container (currently) isn't aware of this for some tools.
So I think that needs more investigation and fixes so that we're not
having to document exceptions.

It seems to me the easier thing to do is tolerate baking more stuff
into the images and ISO. Growing that list now, and shrinking it later
is a better understood process, can be done faster, and requires fewer
resources. And by later, I mean once spcs and overlay stuff are a.
more mature b. better understood c. people doing that work have time
to do it.

The hardware specific utils could go in a metapackage that's enabled
for installation by default only on the ISO, and not for images.

--
Chris Murphy