Re: We're planning to move Council discussions

> ....Discourse, the software
> are
> using, has been around since 2014, and is entirely open source (not
> merely
> open core, which is a rare pleasant situation I'm happy to
> encourage).

Six or seven years, and not on a platform governed by an IEEE/IETF
standard, though.  I'll have to dig through it to understand its
internals to put my mind at ease, as, I think my primary dependence on
IRC is that it's goverend by an RFC-driven protocol so, you know, if
that system fails, another will pop up that implements that protocol.
 Same for mailing lists.

That also means there's a whole downstream ecosystem of tools around
them both.

> On the IBM comments, let me add: I've seen no evidence of any undue
> IBM
> influence on Red Hat's corporate plans (and while I'm not exactly a
> corporate suit, I'm positioned well enough that I'd notice), *let
> alone* on
> Fedora. In fact, I'd really love to see IBM become a little more
> involved.
> Our resourcing from Red Hat is pretty narrowly focused (on RHEL
> success),
> and IBM could help invest in some more speculative things and wider
> community priorities. But, as of so far, no influence for either ill
> *or*
> good.

Well.  I just hope both Fedora and RedHat keep in memory that they were
bought because they were successful.  IBM needed them not the other way
around.

I sound like I hate IBM.  I actually don't.  I'm just mid-scramble
watching all the movement with these acquisitions the last few years
(not just RH) and still trying to get a decent view of where it's
going.

Some of that's an artifact of the legacy the corporate space has with
open source.  If monolithic fortune lists collaborate to deplatform a
troll like Alex Jones, who knows what they'll do to establish an
oligarchy in the systems and software markets worth trillions of
dollars in investment returns.

:: puts on a tin foil fedora ::

-C