Re: We're planning to move Council discussions

I hear bells ringing.

These platforms are not established for the long term.  That was one of
the appeals of selecting IRC and mailing lists for those communities in
the 'old days'.  Those platforms are highly resilient to the passage of
time.

I hope that you hear me when I ask that these decisions be weighed with
the same rigor and criteria that brought things to their current state.

When these platforms fail, and they will eventually, IRC and mailing
lists will still be here, but, the contact interfaces for those foss
communities will have been moved around and back, thereby introducing
an instability to those organizations.

Discord's not even an open source platform.

And the rush to the decision.  Is this decision influenced by IBM?

Castles out of straw.

Something smells really bad about everything I've seen in terms of
movements in Fedora over the last year or two.

Without violating any NDAs, since I have not signed any relevant to
this, you're not attracting new contributors because there's a
coordinated corporate takeover of the Linux space between a few big
companies that's been going on for five years, which cause culture and
project changes that impact the draw dynamics, and over the next two
years you'll see the impact on Github after it is radically altered in
an initiative that has not yet been announced, that no one asked for,
and will have too much money in it to fail immediately -- in addition
to trickle-down cultural changes in various open source communities
like this one implemented by paid staffers whose purpose is to shape
things to fit in line with that roadmap.

A response isn't necessary to this question, I want to leave it
rhetorical, and I hope you ask it of yourself:  Are the contributions
you are permitting preserving the future of Linux?

Some of it's Embrace, extend, extinguish.  Some of it's just poor light
on a dark journey.  Some it's lack of planning.  I won't make claims as
to what's going on with Fedora, but, something is.

-C