Re: Fedora Censorship status

1) Offer the ability for people to make take-down requests, removing
the specific post from the aggregator.

If anyone is uncomfortable with a post on the planet, feel free to open a ticket here: https://pagure.io/CoC/new_issue or message me or Matthew Miller privately.

2) If 1 got too large then just remove the aggregator entirely and
replace it with vetted and curated blog posts driven through the a
dedicated Fedora SIG focused on reviewing the content.

Luckily we have the Community Blog already in place if this were to happen :)

Given the latest discussions taking place about what potentially amounts
to censorship, I feel it is critical that anybody with a view is able to
use all communication channels, including Planet Fedora, to draw
attention to whatever concerns they have.

To me it is unclear what this thread is working towards. If you have specific concerns please bring them forward with an idea on how to solve them and let's see if we can make an improvement! If they are of a private nature, feel free to message me/Matthew or open a ticket here: https://pagure.io/CoC/new_issue

Thanks!

--

Marie Nordin

Fedora Community Action and Impact Coordinator

Red Hat Fedora Project

She/Her/Hers

T: +1.973.800.4967

IRC: riecatnor

On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 3:55 PM Josh Boyer <jwboyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 3:27 PM Daniel Pocock <daniel@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 21/09/2020 21:08, Josh Boyer wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 2:43 PM Daniel Pocock <daniel@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >>

> >> At various times this year, people have written things that appeared on
> >> Planet Fedora and other people had no right of reply because their blogs
> >> were never included there or blogs had been actively censored.
> >>
> >> Given the latest discussions taking place about what potentially amounts
> >> to censorship, I feel it is critical that anybody with a view is able to
> >> use all communication channels, including Planet Fedora, to draw
> >> attention to whatever concerns they have.
> >
> > Since we're offering opinions, I'll offer mine as well.
> >
> > I feel the opposite and find blog posts unrelated to Fedora appearing
> > on Planet Fedora to be a distraction.  I also feel that this isn't
> > censorship as there is no inherent right to post whatever people want
> > on Fedora run services.
>

> Nonetheless, if somebody does in fact post a distraction, why shouldn't
> people impacted by the distraction have a right-of-reply, in your terms,
> posting a counter-distraction?

This is a good question.  I would do 2 things.

1) Offer the ability for people to make take-down requests, removing
the specific post from the aggregator.
2) If 1 got too large then just remove the aggregator entirely and
replace it with vetted and curated blog posts driven through the a
dedicated Fedora SIG focused on reviewing the content.

josh