Re: giving people credit for their work

On 07/04/2020 18:01, David Woodhouse wrote:

> I am struggling to see what actual question, or actionable request that
> is relevant in the context of Fedora, is hidden in ...
Matt's email from Friday seems to suggest we can't ask questions about
any free software organization, even on other sites that are not
syndicated to Planet Fedora.

If an organization is deleting people at Christmas or during their
vacations, it seems like they don't recognize how much work those people
put in throughout the year (and decades) prior to that.  If they thank
some people while removing other peoples' names, is that organization
really running on the same principles as Fedora?  If Matt is defending
that organization blindly, simply because they are a free software
organization, then it implies Fedora doesn't value the contributions of
those volunteers either.

Likewise, if Fedora is maintaining a list of names in a Git repository
and that is used to justify an attack in LWN, it contradicts a lot of
the practices described in the other sub-thread about badges, cookie
karma, happiness packets, etc.

More concisely, these things feel like experiments in gamification and
shaming rather than real relationships.

I also asked specifically about Fedora's participation in the
discussions at SFSCon 2018, partly because it is behind the Linux
Journal paywall and Fedora is normally more open than that.  Even if
Fedora wasn't involved in the discussions about making dossiers on
volunteers, it would be interesting to know about any positive or
constructive things in that round-table.

Regards,

Daniel