giving people credit for their work

I'd like to understand how Fedora feels about giving people credit for
their work.

Is it about doing the bare minimum, checking that copyright statements
list all authors in the code, for example?

Or is it universal, for all aspects of the community, mentoring, etc?

In 2013, Debian demoted/blackmailed/expelled[1] Daniel Baumann because
other people wanted to take over his work due to interactions between
debian-cd, live-build and the release process.  Joerg Jaspert sent a
heavy-handed and defamatory email about Baumann on debian-private on 8
March 2013 to turn other developers against him.  These attacks on
volunteers were previously hidden but Sam Hartman has recently indicated
they can be disclosed.  I raise it here because it is analogous to the
attacks on my own work and my blogs.

To put this in context, look at the enormous amount of work[2] Baumann
had recorded in the live-build changelog before they came for him.  This
was one of only many[3] packages he had contributed to.

To humiliate him, they made him continue uploading using a guest
account[4].  Is that the right way to thank somebody?

They tried to press me to use a guest account too.  I chose to blog
about this abuse instead.

The pattern is the same: notice that I had been involved in mentoring
programs between 2013-2018, I simply resigned[5] without commenting on
the troublesome relationships in Debian or my private reasons for
resigning.  In early 2019, the new announcement[6] of the GSoC/Outreach
team fails to give me any credit.  The other two new admins, Pranav Jain
and Jaminy Prabaharan, are students I had only recently found and
mentored myself.  Given their level of experience in the Debian
community, I feel they were put there as helpers for de Blanc, as she
was the leader's girlfriend and wanted to run things her way.  I felt
their appointment was also another snipe at me, like the suggestion to
use a guest account.  Students like this rely entirely on travel grants
to get visas and attend events.  The message that is being sent out is
that volunteers who are dependent on funding are more compliant.

I recently wrote a blog with some comments on the numerous visits[7] I
made to the Balkans before Kosovo was selected for DebConf21.  The
reaction?  Instead of thanking me, Hartman immediately made a series of
personal attacks to undermine that work.  I've heard that young people
who I've collaborated with there have been asked to take sides or miss
out on opportunities like diversity funding.

When a young woman calls or emails me about a threat like that from
another developer, the feeling I get is the same feeling I would have if
any one of you removed my name from a copyright notice or stole my
wallet.  Why do some people in Fedora not understand how incredibly
serious that is?

When people contribute as volunteers, the only thing we get in return is
recognition for our efforts.  Taking that away is equivalent to
plagiarism or stealing.

Why should the Code of Conduct hide reports about people
misappropriating other volunteers' work?

Regards,

Daniel

1. https://nm.debian.org/person/daniel
2.