Re: Fedora and Steam

On 7/11/19 8:14 AM, Leigh Griffin wrote:
> For sure the student / academic population are a great target market but
> your professional software developers who also like to play games to
> unwind maintain a dual OS for this kind of scenario. I think it would be
> great to explore and if the experience was fine tuned for Fedora it
> would certainly tempt me + others to move their gaming experience
> exclusively there.

To expand here, university students who identify as gamers are also not
necessarily technology-driven people. They may know how to install
latest NVIDIA drivers on Windows 10 but may also assume "Linux" means
"Ubuntu". :) Of the wider pool of student gamers, it is a more narrow
and specific audience of students who game and are also familiar with
Linux on a day-to-day basis.

Personally I see the gamer demographic as tough for Fedora to reach. It
also requires non-trivial investments in marketing and outreach¹, along
with the technical challenges mentioned previously.

I liked Bex's suggestion of providing a platform for Valve, enabled by
CI / gating / non-gating and self-determined release dates.
Self-determined release dates would also impact a Fedora Remix at the
Rochester Institute of Technology, TigerOS². The Fedora release schedule
is difficult for the Remix team to keep up with, even though Fedora
provides the best tool-set for them to build their Remix. I think they
are currently working on a F28 => F30 jump.

Either way, I encourage considering who the audience for this is and how
much Fedora must change to accommodate that audience. In the last few
years, Fedora has become better at finding our audiences and focusing
efforts to enable those audiences to do useful stuff with Fedora.

¹  There are also other big companies who make operating systems that
invest a **significant** amount of marketing and outreach towards
gamers. It is difficult to compete with a marketing budget that could
parallel the annual budget of the Fedora Project alone. Not that it is
impossible… but it is hard and non-trivial. :)
²  https://ritlug.com/tigeros

--
Cheers,
Justin W. Flory