Re: Fedora and Steam

On Mon, Jul 8, 2019 at 9:47 PM Bruno Wolff III <bruno@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 02, 2019 at 13:43:49 -0400,
>   Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >Several people have suggested to me that it'd be awesome for a Fedora
> >offering to be _the_ supported Steam distribution. Or at least, a formally
> >recommended one. I can definitely see the appeal -- although we haven't
> >targetted gamers formally except through the Games spin (which showcases
> >open source gaming), gaming is generally pretty important to the
> >student/academic audience we'd like to reach.
> >
> >But, of course, Steam is a proprietary platform, and gaming comes with the
> >large elephant-in-the-room that is Nvidia. Despite awesomeness from the AMD
> >open source driver recently, and Intel integrated video good enough for a
> >lot of basic gaming, Nvidia still has a near monopoly.
>
> I don't see us becoming _the_ supported Steam distribution unless we are
> willing to block updates to things to not break Steam (which might include
> proprietary video drivers).
>
> I don't think that is a good trade off. Certainly working with them to
> improve things for everybody is a laudable goal.

I would like to believe there is a middle ground here.  I don't know
that Fedora should block on things required by Steam, but I also think
we should work on enabling people, like Valve, to use Fedora as a
platform.  To that end, I think we need to double-down on our work to
accomplish two goals:

1) Enable CI, gating and non-gating that will allow, for example,
Fedora workstation to gate certain changes, and a Valve remix to be
notified that a change is breaking them before it is time for them to
ship.

2) Enable differential ship dates for our outputs.  This would allow
spins, labs, and by extension remixes the ability to ship when they
are ready, not just when our editions are ready.  Remixes can do this
today, but we need to make it easier for them to integrate with our
buildsystems where appropriate and to get messages to trigger theirs
where appropriate.

regards,

bex

> Personally, I don't use Steam at all. When I want specific proprietary games
> bad enough, I get them from Gog to avoid drm. I'm starting to move to power 9
> to avoid proprietary firmware, but it will be a while before I retire my
> existing laptops that I currently play games on. None of my current favorite
> computer games (free and proprietary) are very demanding graphically.
>
> So for me trading off delaying new features in Fedora for a better Steam
> experience, provides no direct benefits. There may be indirect benefits,
> but I wouldn't want to give up much for them up front.

Brian "bex" Exelbierd (he/him/his)
Fedora Community Action & Impact Coordinator
@bexelbie | http://www.winglemeyer.org
bexelbie@xxxxxxxxxx | bex@xxxxxxxxx