Re: Signature Events Strategy for 2017 (Part II: FUDCon)

On Thu, Jan 12, 2017, at 07:17 PM, Neville A. Cross wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 14:29:52 -0500
> Greg DeKoenigsberg <greg.dekoenigsberg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 2:07 PM, Matthew Miller
> > <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > Someone else can probably do it better than me, since the only one I
> > > went to was the one at SCALE three years ago:
> > >
> > > https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/ambassadors/2014-January/021953.html
> > >
> > > but there was also one the year after that:
> > >
> > > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FAD_SCALE_13x_Sunday_Cloud_and_Atomic
> > >
> > > and at least one before:
> > >
> > > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SCALE_8x_2010_FAD
> > >
> > > Looking through https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Category:FAD, a few
> > > more jump out at me:
> > >
> > > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FAD_SELF_2009 (and 2010, 2011, and
> > > 2012) https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FAD_FISL12
> > > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FAD_FOSDEM_2010 (and 2011 and 2012)
> > > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FAD_LinuxTag_2007 (and 2008)
> > >
> > > But all of this was during a period where my Fedora involvement was
> > > relatively low, as I had young children and a very busy day job.
> >
> > So lemme put my old man hat on, and let's go back way into the mists
> > of history, when we had our very first Fedora Conferences.
> >
> > They were, in every case, targets of opportunity. We went where we
> > knew there would already be people who would have interest in Linux,
> > and possibly, by extension, Fedora. We also attached to conferences
> > where people who *were* Fedora-centric could be exposed to lots more
> > stuff as well, so they could get greater bang for their travel buck.
> >
> > Thus, FOSDEM and LinuxTag and FISL and so forth.
> >
> > I think that was the right strategy then, and I think it's still the
> > right strategy now. Find conferences where potential contributors are
> > likely to be, and go there and make Fedora visible.
> >
> > If Fedora wants to be a great cloud OS, co-locate a FAD with a cloud
> > conference.
> >
> > If Fedora wants to be a great container OS, co-locate a FAD with a
> > container conference.
> >
> > If Fedora wants to be a great all-around Linux OS, co-locate a FAD
> > with the traditional Linux conferences.
> >
> > It's up to the leadership to decide where to spend this conference
> > money -- but first, the leadership *must* decide what the *most
> > important goals* are, and align the conferences accordingly. Say yes
> > to the one or two important conferences where there's potential for
> > real impact; otherwise, you're setting money on fire for "goodwill".
> >
> > I understand why someone would want to put on a Fedora conference in
> > their university town -- but frankly, that's what meetup groups are
> > for. Far less overhead, far less oversight required.
> >
> > My $0.02.
> >
> > --g
> >

> As a business manager I strongly like goals, it is a way to structure
> activities and measure accomplishment. We set goals, and from there we
> can chose what events (signature or not) help us reach those goals. Do
> [...]

My take away is that we want both, however we have to start with getting
a steady stream of new users who are likely to be contributors before we
can focus on contributor conversion.

To take it back a bit, I see two questions:

1) Are FUDCons working as user attraction events?  Are we getting return
on our investment?  Are they attracting the users we want?  If not, why
wouldn't we stop doing them?

2) What is a good way to attract our target users?

regards,

bex