Re: Signature Events Strategy for 2017 (Part II: FUDCon)

On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 11:41:24AM +0100, Jiri Eischmann wrote:
> > Finally, I believe these events do not need to be standalone.  I
> > think they can have greater impact when collocated with other
> > conferences or run as "+1 days" to other events.  While this
> > shouldn't be a requirement, I think it is a good practice to
> > encourage.
> while there might some economies of scale and this option always looks
> very appealing to people, I have almost never seen an event where it
> brought a lot of benefit. The specialized co-located event never
> attracted anyone from the larger event and people who came for the
> specialized event were usually too busy to attend the larger event.
> And if it's organized as "+1 day" event, it means people have to stay
> longer to benefit from both, thus lodging costs go up.
> I think the only exception was GNOME.Asia+FUDCon APAC 2014. Two smaller
> events got together and created something big enough to attract
> sponsors and visitors from far away. It also worked because
> GNOME+Fedora is a combination that makes sense and there is an overlap
> in contributors. I'm one of those who contribute to both.

So, this argues against things like "Tack a FUDCon onto FOSDEM", but
maybe we can do more combined events with other projects, making
bigger-than-Fedora open source conferences where those don't already
exist?

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>