Re: Signature Events Strategy for 2017 (Part II: FUDCon)

Matthew Miller píše v St 11. 01. 2017 v 05:54 -0500:
> On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 11:41:24AM +0100, Jiri Eischmann wrote:
> > > Finally, I believe these events do not need to be standalone.  I
> > > think they can have greater impact when collocated with other
> > > conferences or run as "+1 days" to other events.  While this
> > > shouldn't be a requirement, I think it is a good practice to
> > > encourage.
> >
> > while there might some economies of scale and this option always
> > looks
> > very appealing to people, I have almost never seen an event where
> > it
> > brought a lot of benefit. The specialized co-located event never
> > attracted anyone from the larger event and people who came for the
> > specialized event were usually too busy to attend the larger event.
> > And if it's organized as "+1 day" event, it means people have to
> > stay
> > longer to benefit from both, thus lodging costs go up.
> > I think the only exception was GNOME.Asia+FUDCon APAC 2014. Two
> > smaller
> > events got together and created something big enough to attract
> > sponsors and visitors from far away. It also worked because
> > GNOME+Fedora is a combination that makes sense and there is an
> > overlap
> > in contributors. I'm one of those who contribute to both.
>

> So, this argues against things like "Tack a FUDCon onto FOSDEM", but
> maybe we can do more combined events with other projects, making
> bigger-than-Fedora open source conferences where those don't already
> exist?

Yes, something like this. But the combination has to make sense.
Upstream projects who are important for Fedora and Fedora is important
for them are ideal. Organizing events together with for example other
distributions IMHO doesn't work. A couple of years ago, they organized
LinuxDays (general Linux conference)+openSUSE Conference+Gentoo
miniconf in Prague and it didn't really work. The distro tracks didn't
really attract anyone from the general audience or from the other
distro tracks.
Then it's like the quote from Red Dwarf:
"Two bodies who share the same space but are unaware of each other's
existence." :)

Fedora+CentOS may be a different case, but it also doesn't always have
to work, the two audiences also don't naturally melt in as I could
observe at DevConf.cz.

Jiri