Re: Signature Events Strategy for 2017 (Part II: FUDCon)

On Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 6:23 AM, Jiri Eischmann <eischmann@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Matthew Miller píše v St 11. 01. 2017 v 13:27 -0500:
>> On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 12:10:33PM +0100, Jiri Eischmann wrote:
>> > Fedora+CentOS may be a different case, but it also doesn't always
>> > have
>> > to work, the two audiences also don't naturally melt in as I could
>> > observe at DevConf.cz.
>>
>> Tell me more about your observation. :) To me, there was a lot of
>> interesting CentOS stuff going on, but I couldn't go, because it was
>> all at the same time as the Fedora stuff.
>
> That's the thing. I probably would have attended some CentOS talks,
> too, but I couldn't because I was busy attending the Fedora talks which
> are personally prefer.
> I also talked to several local visitors who came to DevConf.cz for the
> CentOS talks, they were all typical sysadmins that work with
> CentOS/RHEL at work and they perceive Fedora as too bleeding edge for
> their focus and were simply not interested in what's going on in the
> Fedora Project.
> I'm not saying that Fedora+CentOS events can't work, just saying that
> even for distributions which are so close to each other it doesn't work
> easily.
> In my opinion, to get some benefit out of it, you need to have agenda
> that would bring both groups together (just a straight-out-of-my-mind
> example: how Fedora and CentOS can cooperate in EPEL). If both groups
> bring their own topics that are (mostly) only interesting to their
> audience it will be two different events that just happen to be in the
> same location.

I agree with this.  Another common topic could be community CI
infrastructure.  Why are the two projects doing it entirely
separately, etc.  I think there is a lot of common ground between
Fedora and CentOS but just putting them at the same conference and
hoping magic happens isn't working.

josh