Re: Signature Events Strategy for 2017 (Part II: FUDCon)

Matthew Miller píše v St 11. 01. 2017 v 13:27 -0500:
> On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 12:10:33PM +0100, Jiri Eischmann wrote:
> > Fedora+CentOS may be a different case, but it also doesn't always
> > have
> > to work, the two audiences also don't naturally melt in as I could
> > observe at DevConf.cz.
>
> Tell me more about your observation. :) To me, there was a lot of
> interesting CentOS stuff going on, but I couldn't go, because it was
> all at the same time as the Fedora stuff.

That's the thing. I probably would have attended some CentOS talks,
too, but I couldn't because I was busy attending the Fedora talks which
are personally prefer.
I also talked to several local visitors who came to DevConf.cz for the
CentOS talks, they were all typical sysadmins that work with
CentOS/RHEL at work and they perceive Fedora as too bleeding edge for
their focus and were simply not interested in what's going on in the
Fedora Project.
I'm not saying that Fedora+CentOS events can't work, just saying that
even for distributions which are so close to each other it doesn't work
easily.
In my opinion, to get some benefit out of it, you need to have agenda
that would bring both groups together (just a straight-out-of-my-mind
example: how Fedora and CentOS can cooperate in EPEL). If both groups
bring their own topics that are (mostly) only interesting to their
audience it will be two different events that just happen to be in the
same location.

Jiri