Re: IRC SIG needs external oversight

On 09/15/2016 10:51 AM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
On Thu, 15 Sep 2016 15:19:01 +0200
Brian Exelbierd <bex@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
1. Could this group work with or combine with the Diversity or CommOps
groups to create a group of people who can step in when something
happens and our CoC guidelines are called into question?  This would
also spread the workload and reduce burnout.

Sure, but again the overlap here isn't as high as you might think.
People I see on IRC are seldom also active on ask or lists. An ask
moderator wouldn't have any idea the irc commands or know when to step
in, etc.

With regards to this specific point, I think that like with the Infrastructure SOPs, the technical knowledge is a barrier that can be crossed and broken down. I think it would be possible to convert people who are active in IRC and also other places and teach them how to use the commands quickly and easily. For example, even when I'm creating IRC channels for non-Fedora topics, I still refer back to the Fedora Infra SOP on creating a freenode IRC channel. I think having "common" commands for a channel OP to run (temporary bans, full bans, quiets, etc.) in a SOP format would be invaluable to "training" new or interested members who are active in IRC but are unfamiliar with moderation commands.

To also expand on the idea of actions are logged, I think the way the ArchLinux Women community keeps track of actions is a good example. They use a private wiki page visible to operators / admins with a table for every ban / quiet / other action they take against users. The table has fields for who was acted on (nick / NickServ account / hostname / etc.), date and time of action, who issued the action, a comment / explanation by the operator (with what channel it happened in), and lastly any comments on if/when the ban expires or if it is lifted. While it doesn't have to be the wiki, a table-like format or database seems like a good way to keep track of these actions and keep a "trail" of actions that can be referenced. The SpigotMC IRC team also does this, albeit with a Google Drive form.

--
Cheers,
Justin W. Flory