Re: IRC SIG needs external oversight

Are the #fedora OPs supposed to have jurisdiction over any #fedora-* channels? Because that really doesn't jibe with how we work, yet gnokii has gotten banned from (amongst others) #fedora-meeting-* because of a #fedora policy that I don't think should apply to other Fedora channels. The ban isn't because of any misbehavior - it's because he doesn't have access to an IRC proxy so he has frequent joins/parts because the internet in his country is really unreliable.

Certainly if, as a project we're interested in increasing our diversity, we should be more understanding of those folks who stay up until 3 AM their time and deal with awful internet service to contribute to Fedora, and not ban them from being able to get their jobs done! To ban someone based on the fact they come from a third world country is problematic on multiple levels, I hope you'd agree.

The thing is, gnokii is a senior, extremely productive member of the design team, and I needed him in a meeting that was held in a #fedora-meeting channel recently and after struggling to get him in there I came to find he had been banned by a #fedora OP. To me, this is completely unacceptable.

Here's a proposal:

#fedora-* channels affiliated with a team should be opped by the admins of the corresponding FAS groups in charge of those teams. Folks who are not active members of those teams should *not* have OP status in those channels. I kind of thought this was how things operated, but apparently not based on how gnokii has been banned. Certainly, if such a ban were instituted in #fedora-design we'd have no designers - #fedora-design is the very first IRC experience most of the designers we recruit have ever had - they don't know anything about nickserv, ops, join/part messages, proxys/bouncers, etc. And they shouldn't have to!

#fedora-meeting-* and other project-wide channels (eg the flock channels) should be OPed by commops. There is no reason #fedora ops should have de facto ops in those channels unless they are engaged in the comm ops team, and sorry to say, I haven't seen any involved in comm ops (please correct me if I'm wrong.)

#fedora - i have no idea what to do about, but let's contain the problem and not let it spread to other parts of the project.

Some suggestions for #fedora:

- My suggestion here would be that if any OP has had multiple complaints filed against them in the ticket system - there's probably been many other CoC violations the victims didn't bother to file - and they really should retire and recover from their burnout before trying again.

- Op status is *not* a status symbol, it's a responsibility, and it seems like a lot of people wield IRC ops not due to any actual personal responsibility but rather because they were around when the Fedora project was in its early days and have held on to it since then - not really a good reason to keep them. It should be more like a relay race baton, not a certificate you hang on your wall forever.

- A suggestion would be to offer ops to top-rated helpers on ask.fpo and make them rotating positions as any other parts of the project (fesco, council, famsco, etc.) are. This would also hopefully help combat burnout by giving overwhelmed ops a e asy way to gracefully bow out without drama or feeling like a quitter or leaving the other opers high and dry without a replacement - just don't run for re-election and let someone else step up.

We do get very positive feedback about users' interactions on ask.fpo and use it as the main support channel we point people to on our websites. The system has built in moderation that allows to keep things more civil than IRC affords.

~m