Re: IRC SIG needs external oversight

On Sat, Sep 10, 2016, at 03:33 PM, Máirín Duffy wrote:

> - A suggestion would be to offer ops to top-rated helpers on ask.fpo and
> make them rotating positions as any other parts of the project (fesco,
> council, famsco, etc.) are. This would also hopefully help combat burnout
> by giving overwhelmed ops a e asy way to gracefully bow out without drama
> or feeling like a quitter or leaving the other opers high and dry without
> a replacement - just don't run for re-election and let someone else step
> up.

This theme came up a couple of times.  It sounds like we need to deal
with both mechanical issues (join spam) and CoC style issues (racist
trolls).

Instead of thinking of IRC as a separate entity, I think we should give
consideration to reforming the group with a more all-encompassing
charter.  All of our communications methods should be subject to the
same guidelines and the same responses.

An issue on ask.fpo, a mailing list, telegram and irc shouldn't get four
different responses.

1. Could this group work with or combine with the Diversity or CommOps
groups to create a group of people who can step in when something
happens and our CoC guidelines are called into question?  This would
also spread the workload and reduce burnout.

2. On services, like IRC, where we know the FAS ID of every person,
let's make it policy that we reach out via at least two communications
methods.  On other services, we do our best effort toward that goal.

3. Can we become more transparent about bans and the equivalent on other
communications methods?  Knowing who has been banned, why and what
actions were taken in advance is much better than having a slug-fest in
tickets.

4. We should have a clear set of guidelines for mechanical issues and a
clear document to point people too.  Ideally, for those communication
methods that support it, we should do something like bounce people to a
#fedora-unregistered equivalent so they get a clear prompt in method
that something has happened.  It can also reinforce the pointer to the
documentation.

5. Help the people who do this work by developing a set of stock phrases
that can be crafted in advance during a calm moment.  These phrases can
hopefully have been tested in various parts of the project to try and
reduce any misreading by individuals from different cultures.
Obviously, we will never have a perfect set of phrases, but it can be a
lot easier to respond to someone if you don't have to craft a careful
response in the heat of the moment.  This will also help make sure that
our messaging stays the same.

regards,

bex