Re: Donations in GNOME Software

On 12 May 2016 at 15:54, Christian Schaller <cschalle@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> a project gets forked and the people behind the
> fork asks us to point to their donation page
> instead.

I'd let the Fedora maintainer make this decision; the donation URL is
actually specified in the upstream AppData file so if we start
shipping packages based on the forked tarball releases we'd ship to
the new donation URL.

> Or a variation of that is if contributors to the
> project disagree about where donations should go
> and we get competing requests for where that link
> should point or if there should be a link at all.

I don't think we'd want to "inject" a new donation URL for projects
but rely on the upstream decision. If upstream doesn't want, or can't
accept, donations then there would be no donation URL defined in the
AppData file and we wouldn't show a button.

If any package maintainers end up changing or adding a donation URL
then that would probably up to the council whether that's a good thing
to do or not. I certainly don't think it would be a good idea in
general.

Also, perhaps not the right list but I expect for RHEL we'd not want
donations at all, so this probably needs to be a gsetting or configure
flag at the very least.

Richard