[council] #53: privacy policy should be updated to describe the privacy of Fedora installations, not participation in Fedora events

#53: privacy policy should be updated to describe the privacy of Fedora
installations, not participation in Fedora events
---------------------+-------------------
 Reporter:  zbyszek  |     Owner:
Component:  General  |  Keywords:
---------------------+-------------------
 == How the privacy policy is specified ==

 /usr/lib/os-release contains
 PRIVACY_POLICY_URL=https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal:PrivacyPolicy.
 PRIVACY_POLICY_URL is documented to "refer to the main privacy policy page
 for the operati[ng] system" [1]. This line was added to allow Gnome to
 display a link to the privacy policy without hardcoding the text or URL.
 It is currently shown by gnome-initial-setup [2].

 [1] https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/os-
 release.html#HOME_URL=
 [2] https://in.waw.pl/~zbyszek/fedora/gnome-i-s-privacy-policy-
 screenshot.png

 == Recent attempts at updating ==

 There have been two drafts that I'm aware of:
 - https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Pfrields/PrivacyPolicyRedux
 discussed at [3]
 - https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Spot/PrivacyPolicyProposal discussed
 at [4]

 [3]
 https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/desktop/2015-March/011700.html
 [4] https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/council-
 discuss/2015-September/013633.html

 Neither of those significantly address issues that have been raised in
 response to both proposals.

 == What is wrong with current policy ==

 [This part is subjective of course, please read it as prefixed with "IMO"
 everywhere]

 As stated in $subject, it's a policy for a different purpose. The privacy
 policy used as "the privacy policy for the OS" should primarily and
 prominently describe what information is collected (or otherwise made
 public) when Fedora is installed, when a user account on the Fedora
 machine is created, and in normal use of Fedora.

 Crafting a clear and simple policy will make a good impression that Fedora
 Project cares about it's users privacy, and is safe to use in situations
 where preserving personal information is important.

 A general problem is that existing policy and proposed draft do not make a
 clear distinction between a) installing Fedora and downloading updates, b)
 creating accounts for Fedora development and using the bug tracker, c)
 participating in Fedora conferences and such. Those three broad categories
 have completely different privacy implications. Without being clear to
 which of those the policy pertains means that the policy greatly
 overstates the types of information being collected. In effect the policy
 is much more relaxed (i.e. bad for the users) than it could be.

 Specific issues raised:

 Should there be mention of NetworkManager-config-connectivity-fedora? (ie,
 checking http://fedoraproject.org/static/hotspot.txt for captive portal)
 [5]

 In the section about 'Cookies and other Browser information', it might be
 useful to mention that the 'User Agent ID' of Browsers that are packaged
 in Fedora is configured to identify the system as running Fedora. [6]

 For example, the list in "Publicly Available Personal Information" really
 isn't palatable. A better way of showing this might be to say: "the
 information you give when creating your account will be public by default.
 You can see what data is publicly visible <here> (link to the public page
 for the user), modify your privacy settings <here>, and request deletion
 of the account <here>" [7]

 I also don't like the "Personal Information" vs. "Non-Personal
 Information". It might be how a lawyer works, but just because it pertains
 to a computer and not to a person doesn't make it less identifying. [7]

 the privacy policy needs to refer to "user account" in such way that it'll
 be clear that it's talking about accounts for contributors (FAS) and not a
 user account on your system or an online account you add via GOA, to make
 it clear Fedora doesn't scrape your name (or other identifying details)
 from Google / Facebook accounts added via GOA, nor the "Full Name" field
 of user accounts on your computer. [8]

 > we may disclose personally identifiable information about you to third
 parties
 > in limited circumstances, including:
 > - for research activities, including the production of statistical
 reports (such
 > aggregated information is used to describe our services and is not used
 > contact the subjects of the report).
 > ""
 AFAIK, in Germany, it's the laws that any such "passing on personal
 information" needs to be opt-in - "Opt-out" and "always-on" would be
 unlawful. [10]

 What procedures are being put in place so that EU residents (and hopefully
 everyone) can contact Fedora or Red Hat to obtain/understand/verify/delete
 their machine data, beyond obviously personal data?

 [5] https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/council-
 discuss/2015-September/013643.html
 [6]
 https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/desktop/2015-March/011703.html
 [7]
 https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/desktop/2015-March/011727.html
 [8]
 https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/desktop/2015-March/011729.html
 [9] https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/council-
 discuss/2015-September/013637.html
 [10] https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/council-
 discuss/2015-September/013637.html
 [11] https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/council-
 discuss/2015-September/013649.html

 == tl; dr ==

 The policy is too complicated, yet lacks detail and does not provide
 strong guarantees.
 Statements like "The Information We Collect ... your Fedora Account
 password .. your SSH public key ... your affiliation" are not appropriate
 for a page linked to from the "Privacy Policy" link displayed during
 installation.

 I hope the Council can help to push towards a better policy document.
 Currently things seem to be stuck in minimal edits over the last year and
 half. Maybe the document should be opened for public editing on a wiki
 somewhere so that people can rearrange the text and take it further from
 current form. If the Council accepted the general idea of providing strong
 privacy guarantees things could move forward.

--
Ticket URL: <https://fedorahosted.org/council/ticket/53>
council <https://fedorahosted.org/council>