Re: [council] #53: privacy policy should be updated to describe the privacy of Fedora installations, not participation in Fedora events

#53: privacy policy should be updated to describe the privacy of Fedora
installations, not participation in Fedora events
---------------------+---------------------
 Reporter:  zbyszek  |       Owner:

Comment (by jwboyer):

 Replying to [ticket:53 zbyszek]:
 > == tl; dr ==
 >
 > The policy is too complicated, yet lacks detail and does not provide
 strong guarantees.
 > Statements like "The Information We Collect ... your Fedora Account
 password .. your SSH public key ... your affiliation" are not appropriate
 for a page linked to from the "Privacy Policy" link displayed during
 installation.

 > I hope the Council can help to push towards a better policy document.
 Currently things seem to be stuck in minimal edits over the last year and
 half. Maybe the document should be opened for public editing on a wiki
 somewhere so that people can rearrange the text and take it further from
 current form. If the Council accepted the general idea of providing strong
 privacy guarantees things could move forward.

 You seem to have a good handle on the kinds of changes and overall
 document you wish to see.  Perhaps it would be more expedient if you took
 the source of the current page (which is accessible) and modified it to
 match what you would like to see.  Then the Council, along with Fedora
 Legal, could review the new document directly as a possible replacement.

 As it stands, the Council has never explicitly addressed this issue and
 its former incarnation in the Fedora Board tended to lean on Fedora Legal
 to provide guidance.  I won't speak for the Council, but I don't think
 you'll find anyone really opposed to protecting privacy, yet they may be
 hesitant to jump into a topic they are fairly unfamiliar with.

--
Ticket URL: <https://fedorahosted.org/council/ticket/53#comment:1>
council <https://fedorahosted.org/council>