Re: [council] #53: privacy policy should be updated to describe the privacy of Fedora installations, not participation in Fedora events

#53: privacy policy should be updated to describe the privacy of Fedora
installations, not participation in Fedora events
---------------------+---------------------
 Reporter:  zbyszek  |       Owner:

Comment (by zbyszek):

 It's a good point that every application can expose data on it's own.
 Especially that we cannot expect users to see a clear distinction between
 "Fedora the os" and any package distributes in Fedora. And yes, going into
 to technical details would create an unmanageable mess. The way out, I
 think, is to distinguish between data that you expose to Fedora servers,
 i.e. data which is inherently exposed by installing and updating and
 running Fedora, and data which is exposed to other parties by use of
 applications. I think this latter part could be subject of a privacy
 guide, but falls outside of the scope of a Privacy Policy.

 I think that current policy is dangerously close to "all data are belong
 to us", without needing to be. Fedora is pretty good about not collecting
 data so we are underselling ourselves here.

 I'll have to put my money where my mouth is and come up with a draft as
 jwb suggested. I'm bound to get various details wrong, but maybe it can
 serve as a starting point for further discussion.

--
Ticket URL: <https://fedorahosted.org/council/ticket/53#comment:6>
council <https://fedorahosted.org/council>