Re: [board] #12: Fedora Council Charter Draft: collect concerns for revisions in preparation for vote

On 6 October 2014 07:48, board <trac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
#12: Fedora Council Charter Draft: collect concerns for revisions in preparation
for vote
------------------------+-----------------------
 Reporter:  mattdm      |       Owner:  mattdm

Comment (by mattdm):

 Replying to [comment:13 inode0]:
 > Replying to [comment:12 mattdm]:
 > > My concern is with the same people being elected continuously on name
 recognition rather than on platform; it's easy to fall into this. Not that
 those people aren't usually great, just that it gives a chance for others
 and for their new ideas.
 > Why don't we have the same concern for the other elected positions?
 Aren't they subject to the same thing potentially happening?

 I have that concern there too, but it's balanced somewhat by a desire for
 continuity in the positions that are directly representative of the
 outreach and building halves of the project, and by the fact that those
 positions will be chosen by the active committees in those areas.

While it is good to be concerned, people are going to vote for people they know over people they don't know. It is why candidates who want to get elected need to do a lot of legwork in physical world elections to make sure people know who they are. Term limits are good, but they don't fix the problem of voter concern where if the voters do not know any of the candidates, they don't vote.

In this case, we are dealing with basic human nature, and it will be up to the candidates to make sure they make themselves known versus just having a great platform.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.