Re: [board] #12: Fedora Council Charter Draft: collect concerns for revisions in preparation for vote

#12: Fedora Council Charter Draft: collect concerns for revisions in preparation
for vote
------------------------+-----------------------
 Reporter:  mattdm      |       Owner:  mattdm

Comment (by mattdm):

 Replying to [comment:13 inode0]:
 > Replying to [comment:12 mattdm]:
 > > My concern is with the same people being elected continuously on name
 recognition rather than on platform; it's easy to fall into this. Not that
 those people aren't usually great, just that it gives a chance for others
 and for their new ideas.
 > Why don't we have the same concern for the other elected positions?
 Aren't they subject to the same thing potentially happening?

 I have that concern there too, but it's balanced somewhat by a desire for
 continuity in the positions that are directly representative of the
 outreach and building halves of the project, and by the fact that those
 positions will be chosen by the active committees in those areas.

 > > Would we want something where there's three positive votes and three
 "This is fine / I don't care either way"s to fail?
 > No, but I might want something with three positive votes and three "I'm
 not voting against this but I am against it for these reasons" to fail or
 at least continue to be discussed.

 Some of this will come down to operating conventions which we will evolve
 in practice (but some of which we might codify now.) One thing we can do
 is define "-1" as "hold on", rather than "I hate this it must die". That
 way, it _can_ express "I'm not necessarily going to stand against this but
 have these reservations", and you can change to 0 (or even +1) once you're
 satisfied that the concerns have been listened to or addressed. Or, we
 could say that a "0 with concerns" vote automatically turns to a -1 if
 those concerns aren't discussed. (Just as a -1 without reasonable
 explanation automatically turns to a 0 -- in either case, discussion of
 the concerns and "what would it take to make this a yes?" gets the
 emphasis.)

 > > No, it's much stronger. Just -1 blocks the measure. Or do you mean
 something like some number of negative votes removes the topic from
 discussion entirely?
 > Yeah, I may be confused a bit here. I think it would help me a lot if
 you could define with some precision what situation constitutes a lack of
 consensus where the Council might ask the FPL to simply decide the matter.

 I think the most likely situation is when there's one sticking point which
 a single member feels that they can't compromise on, but everyone else
 feels necessary, and everyone feels like all options have been exhausted
 (that's why there's the part about two weeks of discussion). The more
 difficult situation would be when the council has a more even split,
 likely one that's reflective of a big division in the project as a whole.
 In that case, project-wide discussion _should_ continue as long as it
 continues to be constructive and productive. I can imagine a situation
 where that would reach its limit, and we'd need to pick one way or another
 and move on. That should be both a big deal and rare, and as I noted
 above, we might build some automatic post-mortem requirement when it
 happens (although I think that it's probably not something we need to
 over-engineer for).

--
Ticket URL: <https://fedorahosted.org/board/ticket/12#comment:15>
board <https://fedorahosted.org/board>