Re: Unofficial Fedora Remix being advertised on the project front page

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 1:46 PM, Matthew Garrett <mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 07:35:26PM +0100, Peter Robinson wrote:
>
>> I agree with Jared's sentiment here. I'm not sure why Pidora should
>> get any special promotion over any of the other remixes or secondary
>> architecture and by being a secondary architecture there's no
>> guarantee that things like security fixes are delivered in the same
>> timeframe as the mainline Fedora.
>
> Why is 3D printing given any special promotion over any other Fedora
> feature? Why are TechRepublic given more promotion than any other media
> outlet that reviewed Fedora? Why is Robyn on the front page instead of
> any other community member?
>
> Marketing promotes things that they feel benefit the project as a whole.
> Promoting Pidora while there's still extreme media interest in Raspberry
> Pi is a rational decision. Have any of the other spins or remixes made
> an argument for inclusion on the front page that marketing agree with?

I agree completely with your remarks above concerning marketing.
However clearly the spins have nagged, begged, and otherwise requested
stronger promotion on the website for many years and I think the
record shows that this nagging and unhappiness on the part of some
spins at least partly motivated the entire userbase/target
audience/default desktop initiative.

The decision about website focus was moved from the website and
marketing teams to the board.

For some context see

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-advisory-board/2009-July/msg00088.html

Of course the spins did not make an argument that marketing/websites
agreed with or we wouldn't still be discussing this all these years
later.

John