Re: Request: please consider clarifying the project's position on Spins

2010/12/4 Máirín Duffy <duffy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Yes but you shouldn't have to read a manual or a how-to just to try out
Fedora. If we pose Fedora in such a way that only users of a certain
technical knowledge/prowess can get up and running with it efficiently,
we're basically shutting them out of using it. It's much easier to get
them up and running on a default set of things and if they want to
explore later, of course they can, but if you have to learn too much
just to get started it's overwhelming and we'll lose a lot of people.

So let me ask this.

If there were, say, a small but attractive graphic info box, above the fold but below the Desktop spin language, that rotated through a set of options, like: "Try Something Different! LXDE!" do you think that would lose a bunch of people?

Again, I am not arguing to change the default.  That ship has sailed.  I'm arguing to give other spins a bit more visibility.  I know you've gone through a lot of iterations, but none of those iterations have satisfied the Spin advocates, and I wonder if we can get a bit closer to that.

--g