Re: Request: please consider clarifying the project's position on Spins

On 12/01/2010 10:32 PM, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
>  From the report of the Spins committee last release.. the Spins group
> was in bad shape themselves. Between all the problems with ownership,
> testing issues, lack of manpower, and just the approach of live images
> had the last spin person saying he wasn't doing it any more.

That actually comes as a no surprise here..

Any other *DE has to work twice as hard then the Gnome Desktop that
seems to get project resources as it pleases and if it is gaining
momentum it's like forces within the project throw obstacles in it's
path to hinder that momentum.

Ask you self this question if you were any other *DE developer than
Gnome one would you consider Fedora as your development platform of your
choice?

Would it make you feel like you had equal opportunity to present your
application your work to the world?

My answer to the above question is no I would not hence I ask this
simple question why are we backing up and promoting only single DE?

What benefits does it bring the project?

To what end does the project hope to gain with clinging to dinosaur
dream of promoting only single *DE ?

Why not give all of them equal presentation equal ability to be
downloaded and equal community resources and so and so fourth and if
that's not possible due to some <insert whatever reason you find against
it > then we could rotate and promote each *DE different release cycles.
For F15 it would be Gnome for F16 it will be KDE for F17 it will be LXDE
etc etc.. and if that's not possible due to some <insert whatever reason
you find against it > who decides that it's Gnome that should be the
"Default" desktop and on what grounds?

After all should that be up to the community to decide via voted or how
open and transparent and how well that DE has worked with the community
throughout Fedora history?

I say give all *DE all spins equal support from the community, give them
complete decision freedom on how they do things and how they ship them (
for example iso vs usb key image ) and let them decide their target
audience and the primary vision that the project has is to be that
platform of the choice with the best tools of the trades.

Not all have been treated equal here but that can certainly can be
changed and what's stopping us from doing that?

JBG