Re: Search Engine on start.fedoraproject.org

2010/7/23 Máirín Duffy <duffy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On Fri, 2010-07-23 at 10:16 -0800, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
>> 2010/7/23 Máirín Duffy <duffy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> > Is it a requirement that we do?
>>
>> No. If we want to decide to take a scorched earth policy.. then fine.
>> As a first step along the path of such a policy  point me to a
>> publicly archived tarball of the current Red Hat bugzilla please. Are
>> we prepared to drop our dependency on Red Hat's bugzilla? If not, then
>> talk of a scorch earth policy is hypocritical. And as much as I love
>> to see us take a strong ideological stance, I don't want us to strike
>> that pose and then be hypocritical about how we choose to implement
>> it...selectively.
>>
>> I'd much rather see a workable policy in place, even if its a
>> compromise with my own idealogical stance as long as it provides what
>> this project needs in terms of a hedge against proprietary lock-in or
>> service degradation than a policy that encourages overt hypocritical
>> decision making and lots of special case grandfathering.
>
> What on Red Hat's BZ is closed-source?

It depends on how one defines 'closed-source' as much as people define
'free/open source'. From someone taking an AGPL viewpoint it is highly
closed because there is no way to see what differences there are
between the Bugzilla RPM and what is running on bugzilla.redhat.com.
And face it while many of us inside Fedora trust Red Hat.. there are
quite a bunch of people who can come up with long lists of why they
can't or won't trust Red Hat as much as some don't trust Google or
Facebook.

Thus it comes down to a point where "If its good for the goose, it is
good for the gander." to a lot of people.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.