Re: proposal for the board: planet fedora != fedora people

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 05:15:40PM -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-06-18 at 14:00 -0700, Robyn Bergeron wrote:
> > I think it's overkill - but that's just my opinion, of course.  What
> > is our percentage rate or rate of "incidents?"  If we were having one
> > a day, or one a week, I think that would be one thing.  And despite
> > any guidelines we have, or boxes people need to check - mistakes will
> > be made, and I'd venture to guess those mistakes would occur at
> > approximately the same rate that "incidents" currently do.
>
> Sure, but the problem with letting things be / the status quo is that we
> have no system or procedure in place to handle the mistakes. And when
> someone posts something to planet, it's up for all the world to see
> pretty much in minutes. In some cases, say, the one where Ms. Liu's
> assets were splayed for all to see.... you really want to get that
> content down as soon as you can.
>
> - Personally writing the person (who may be in another timezone and
> asleep by the time you write them) and pursuing the issue that way won't
> necessarily resolve the problem in a timely manner.
>
> - Taking it to the Board seems overkill, and a potential waste of their
> time.
>
> - Approaching one of our awesome sysadmins and asking them to take it
> down is problematic as well, because they have no guidelines against
> which to make a judgment call.
>
> In the case of Ms. Liu and her bikini, that incident actually happened
> during FUDcon Toronto so IIRC we talked to Smooge & Mike about taking it
> down, and they said they didn't feel comfortable making the judgment
> call and would rather a Board OK to do it, so I talked to Paul and some
> other board members and got an okay. It took maybe 45 minutes from
> spotting it to getting it delisted - in-person. It might take hours
> remotely.

Immediately after that particular case, we added this to our Planet
page:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Planet#Appropriate_Material

We put this page up to make it easier for sysadmins to remove
inappropriate material quickly.  Since then I don't believe we've had
a recurrence of inappropriate material (as set out on that page).  Are
there additional categories that should be covered there?

Today I added a more prominent link to the [[Join Fedora Planet]] page
to provide more information on guidelines before a community member
sets up an RSS feed for the planet.

I'm not implying these wiki pages magically solve all concerns in this
thread.  My question, I guess, is have these changes helped the
sysadmins?  Or have they not even had the need to rely on them since
FUDCon?

I have nothing against multiple planet feeds with different degrees of
specificity.  I think the one that represents the Fedora Project by
default should really be the most Fedora-centric, in terms of content.
But I also think it should help readers expand their view of the
community as well.

Earlier I remember Mike McGrath had talked about some of the issues we
had in "growth without scaling" as it pertained to FAS groups.
Because we have a very self-service group joining system, we have lots
of new FAS account holders joining groups with no context around them,
or any idea what they mean, or whether they even need to be in them.
As a result, there are "join queues" which have a very low signal to
noise ratio, and it's hard to figure out as a sponsor on which to take
action.  We certainly want new contributors to be able to join (and be
approved for) groups easily, but the suggestion was made by someone
that invitation groups by default make more sense.

Does this idea work at all for the Planet?  In other words, what if
there were a firehose feed that anyone can join (like getting a FAS
account and agreeing to the CLA/FPCA), and then be promoted to the
official Planet by simply having on-topic content?  And could that
decision be made in a way that is equitable, scalable, community
owned, and which encourages great material on the Planet, without
being too cliquish?