Re: proposal for the board: planet fedora != fedora people

2010/6/18 Máirín Duffy <duffy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On Fri, 2010-06-18 at 13:04 -0700, Robyn Bergeron wrote:
>> 2010/6/18 Máirín Duffy <duffy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> > The problem isn't just that it's an ubuntu post. But it seems no matter
>> > how many times I say this in the thread it's ignored.
>
>> So the problem is.... 400x400.... logos? Really?
>
> Is the sarcasm really necessary, Robyn?

Well... everyone else is doing it!!

No, you're right. I'm sorry.  (For the record, were I saying this to
you in person, it would likely come out much funnier than in text.)

> I do find a 400x400 Ubuntu logo on Planet Fedora rather obnoxious, yes.
> But I was referring to the thread as a whole, not the original post:
>
> http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/advisory-board/2010-June/008481.html
>
> "It's not clear this person has contributed to Fedora in any way. He
> just added himself to our planet this week and has been an account
> holder for less than a month. His hugeass ubuntu logo is accompanied by
> a form for some ubuntu product that asks a lot of personal information.
>
> "This isn't, say, a GNOME hacker working on an Ubuntu issue and who also
> happens to be on Planet Fedora - which we've seen quite a lot of on our
> planet and about which I could care less."
>
> http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/advisory-board/2010-June/008484.html
>
> "First of all, did you take a look at the link he provided? To me, it
> appears to be a commercial page looking to grab a lot of detailed
> personal information about people before offering anything of use."
>
>> If we want to have
>> guidelines saying "we can only talk about Fedora stuff here," and
>> turning the main planet page into a Fedora-only place, taking away the
>> community element, and relegate all Non-Fedora stuff to a page that
>> nobody visits, I think that is very, very problematic.  And that is
>> precisely where this thread has gone.
>
> This has been suggested because trusting people's judgment in refraining
> from posting inappropriate content is not a solution given several
> incidents.
>
> The solution I would rather have (see subject line of original thread)
> is a set of guidelines, but it's extremely difficult to draw a clear
> line and nobody seems to agree on what they should be or how to judge
> whether or not something violates them. The easiest line to draw seems
> to be fedora vs non-fedora content - so the solution Seth proposed makes
> a lot of sense in that light.

I think it's overkill - but that's just my opinion, of course.  What
is our percentage rate or rate of "incidents?"  If we were having one
a day, or one a week, I think that would be one thing.  And despite
any guidelines we have, or boxes people need to check - mistakes will
be made, and I'd venture to guess those mistakes would occur at
approximately the same rate that "incidents" currently do. Worse, the
mistake would probably be made more often such that people would
forget to tag really good content with the Fedora tag.  So what do we
gain? We have a main page, per the original proposal, that has far
less content, probably content missed because people aren't
remembering to tag things, and a separate page highlighting non-Fedora
things that community members are writing about - some of which are
VERY interesting, and really, make us feel more like a community than
a bunch of Fedora-writing-robots- which just winds up getting not read
anywhere near as much as they would as if, say, things stayed as they
are currently?

-robyn