Re: Fedora Board Recap 2007-NOV-13

Josh Boyer wrote:
On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 19:49:07 +0100
Jeroen van Meeuwen <kanarip@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Josh Boyer wrote:
On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 19:15:34 +0100
Jeroen van Meeuwen <kanarip@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
This branch in the discussion isn't my beef and I should stick to my point; giving anyone enough freedom to do whatever it is they want to do with Fedora, based on Fedora or rebranded FUbuntu for all I care, without the legal responsibilities of having to host or distribute the sources or creating any other type of overhead. No-one (individuals and small projects in particular) should care about GPL-compliance knowing that someone else has that area covered.
I think that is a dangerous statement to make.  If you are distributing
binaries of GPL'd work, you should care about GPL-compliance.  Making
an assumption that it is handled by someone else is putting their head
in the sand.

If Fedora is covering it for them, and they know that, great.  If it
isn't, or something changes, they should be prepared to get themselves
back into compliance one way or another.

I understand your point, but you need to be careful with how you state
your goal.

When pulled out of context, it doesn't make a very good quote. The entire /thread/ is about how I want FP to carry the burden and how the individual or small project to be able to rely upon that.

It's not out of context.

Even if you accomplish your goal in getting Fedora to carry the burden
_now_, that doesn't mean it can't change again in the future.  GPL
compliance is not something you figure out once and call it good,
because things change and downstreams would have to adapt to that.

josh

Luckily for the Fedora Project though hosting the sources for a given time frame under GPLv2 3b _now_ does not include the responsibility of downstream's adaption to changes _later_, while in Jesse's proposal things end up so tight every change upstream means a change downstream and vice-versa.

-Jeroen