Re: Fedora Board Recap 2007-NOV-13

Jesse Keating wrote:
On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 21:07:09 -0800
John Poelstra <poelstra@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

=== Source Code ===
  * Long term storage and availability of source code
  * ability to match source code to any released package--store for
four years
  * create source on the fly so that space is not a concern
  * One approach would be to change the way we tag things or to
disable forced tagging
  * Area of interest for Matt, Jef, Chris A

I have to say that I'm still pretty against any strategy that has us or
any of our downstreams relying upon us for a GPLv2 3b or 3c
distribution method.  I feel that the methods described are entirely
too vague and too easily misinterpreted and could easily drive Fedora
into a "trap" of never being able to retire sources at all.

Personally I am opposed to trying to find clever ways to not needing to host the source (rpms). Finding ways to do anything different from *just making the sources available online* for a period of time is asking for trouble; It should work, but what if it doesn't -or fails half-way? How does investing in a couple of discs weigh (each release?) against the potential legal liability of losing anything because in the past you thought you needed some 'clever way' to make sources available.

I can't really understand though how anyone could be opposed to the Fedora Project releasing under 3b.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen
-kanarip