Re: summary of firstboot and EULA changes in Fedora 7

On Thu, 17 May 2007, Alexandre Oliva wrote:

On May 17, 2007, Max Spevack <mspevack@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The compilation is made available under the GNU General Public
License version 2.

I don't quite understand what this is supposed to mean.

Is it correct to assume that the legal implications of this move have been run through legal, and that it is not in fact a problem to release under the GPL a compilation that includes both software and other kinds of copyrightable works, some of which are licensed under licenses that are incompatible with the GPL? And that this doesn't amount to dual-licensing logos and trademarks that are AFAIK supposed to be offered under the trademark policy only, not under the GPL?

If nothing else, some major clarification of what this means would be in order, otherwise people might get impressions that they can do things we don't mean them to do (like modifying non-Free firmware or invariant sections of GFDL documents we ship, or using our logos and trademarks without complying with the trademark policites).

This text was actually written by Mr. Webbink. But I will show him your comments and see if there's anything in here that he things needs to change.

--Max

--
Max Spevack
+ http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MaxSpevack