Re: summary of firstboot and EULA changes in Fedora 7

Max Spevack wrote:
All,

Wanted to get this summary out for everyone while there's still a small window to fix any major issues.

Thanks,
Max

===

TOPIC 1 -- FIRSTBOOT

...in Fedora Core 6

There was a module in firstboot that displayed the EULA and required the user to click a radio button saying that they *AGREED* with it before being allowed to move on. There were a variety of things wrong with that use case, which I shall not go into here.

...in Fedora 7

The module has been changed. Now, rather than displaying the EULA, it displays a text box that tells users the following:

"Thank you for installing Fedora. Fedora is a compilation of software packages, each under its own license. The compilation is made available under the GNU General Public License version 2. There are no restrictions of using, copying, or modifying this code. However, there are restrictions and obligations that apply to the redistribution of the code, either in its original or a modified form. Among other things, those restrictions/obligations pertain to the licensing of the redistribution, trademark rights, and export control.

If you would like to understand what those restrictions are, please visit http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal/Licenses/EULA.";

The user simply checks a button that says "Understood, please proceed."

Thus, firstboot no longer requires the user to *AGREE* to/with anything, merly to *ACKNOWLEDGE* having been presented with some information.

TOPIC 2 -- EULA

There have been a few changes made to the EULA between Fedora Core 6 and Fedora 7. The rest of this email is a diff between the old and the new EULA files, and a brief discussion of those changes. A full copy of the proposed EULA is attached, and in its current form it has been approved by Legal.

2c2
<                         FEDORA(TM) CORE
---
                        FEDORA(TM)
12c12
< 1.  THE SOFTWARE.  Fedora Core (the "Software") is a modular Linux
---
1.  THE SOFTWARE.  Fedora (the "Software") is a modular Linux

COMMENTS -- all we're doing here is changing the name from "Fedora Core" to "Fedora".

17,18c17,21
<   below, the license terms for the components permit User to copy,
<   modify, and redistribute the component, in both source code and
---
  below, the license terms for the components permit User to copy
  and redistribute the component.  With the exception of certain
  firmware files (denoted in the License field of the RPM packaging),
  the license terms for the comopnents permit User to copy, modify
  and redistribute the component, in both source code and

COMMENTS -- this change references our binary firmware exception:
   http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines#BinaryFirmware

Not all the spins of Fedora would necessarily include such firmware and I am think we should have a slightly different approach to firmware on some occasions. Details post Fedora 7 release. It might be more appropriate to say "With the potential exception of certain firmware files..."

Rahul