Re: Lessons Learned

Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

The thing important for me is: it seems the pages were simply moved,
without asking the public or FESCo for opinions first. Yes, the topic
was discussed once in the public some weeks earlier (without a real
outcome), but now it was simply done afaics, without even discussing
FESCo first. Was such a hectic really necessary?

Side note: I think the moving in general was a good idea, but how it was
done without asking or announcing it beforehand was simply bad bad bad.
I think even a board member should be a bit more careful and ask the
proper committee (in this case FESCo) and the public for opinions before
doing such a major task.

Sure, simply doing stuff is easier often. But people that operate in
"heads down, I don't care what other people think and do my way without
asking the public or committees that are responsible for it because that
is painful work" is as far as I can see not the way to get a community
interested in Fedora.

I asked several times in fedora-devel list and fedora-maintainers list without any consensus. I setup redirects for every single renamed and I have announced it to fedora-maintainers list after it was done. The move is not complete yet as indicated in the announcement so categorization of the pages has not changed. I didn't do it as a board member but as someone who has been involved in the website content management.

If I have to jump through hoops talking to committee's before I do things like these I rather not be involved. If anyone within FESCo has a problem with a simple page move feel free to let me know.

Rahul