Re: CAC screen locking/unlocking

Allshouse, Brian M CTR NSWCDD XDT wrote:
Bob,

	Thanks for the reply, unfortunately though I'm trying to do this
with KDE, is there a solution for kscreensaver? And if not can you run the
gnome-screensaver when using the KDE desktop? (I've never tried) I'm trying
to do this for users desktop systems and everyone here uses KDE. Thanks.
OK a lot of non-answers below in the hopes that some of the rambling would be useful.

gnome-screensaver versus kscreensaver: I'm told that mixing desktop applications happens all the time. The different apps have different look an feel, and each set of desktop apps are designed to work together and share things like configuration information, so running a kde app under gnome is really know different than running a generic X application under one of the desktops. The biggest issue with running gnome-screensaver will likely be getting it configured.

You can use pkcs11_eventmgr with kscreensaver if kscreensaver has a programmatic way of triggering the 'prompt for pin' event.

lockhelper.sh was designed to use xscreensaver so that you run pkcs11_eventmgr once on your system as root and it can access X even when the existing user was running. You can dispense with it if you run pkcs11_eventmgr as the logged in user. lockhelper used the gdm's X credentials, so you would need to modify it for KDE. Here are the guts:

DISPLAY=:0
export DISPLAY
XAUTHORITY=/var/gdm/${DISPLAY}.Xauth
export XAUTHORITY