RE: CAC screen locking/unlocking

There isn't as much magic about it as you may think. My pkcs11_eventmgr.conf
just has

event card_insert {
   action = "play /usr/share/sounds/warning.wav", "xscreensaver-command
-deactivate";
}

event card_remove {
   action = "play /usr/share/sounds/error.wav", "xscreensaver-command
-lock";
}

The PIN prompting is taken care of by xscreensaver through PAM + pam_pkcs11
- it looks like any password prompt.

I found card_eventmgr rather more interesting at the time though, because I
wanted my box to beep at me if I tried to lock the screen with the CAC in.
card_eventmgr is run per-user and has nearly the same sort of configuration
as pkcs11_eventmgr. It doesn't always look for its config file where you
think you told it to, as I recall. I have my card_eventmgr write the
inserted/removed state of the card to a little text file, and I made a shell
script to run instead of "xscreensaver-command -activate", which checks the
text file for "inserted" and makes sounds, so I'm alerted if I lock my
screen but my card's still in.

If you're using GNOME, I have no clue how you'd go about making the "Lock
Screen" button/menu item do that little shell script instead of talking to
the screensaver itself. :P