Re: btrfs compression by default

On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 3:16 AM Michel Alexandre Salim
<michel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]
> > > about Anaconda.
> > >
> > > Another option seems to be to modify Anaconda code directly.
> > > Unfortunately, I can't tell from top of my mind how hard that would
> > > be
> > > but still seems like the easiest solution.
> > >
> > > However, the best approach which I can think of is to add something
> > > like that to our configuration files. Benefit would be that another
> > > modifications like that could be done easily in the future. That is
> > > of
> > > course for a discussion for the Anaconda team because it could be
> > > pretty hard to implemented this in some common form.
> > >
> > > Vendy, Vojta, do you have some better ideas or could you tell us
> > > something more about my ideas above?
> > >
> > > Best Regards,
> > > Jirka

> > Hello!
> >
> > The change says: "On variants using btrfs as the default filesystem,
> > enable transparent compression using zstd." It means that the
> > compression has to be configurable per product, so we need to add a
> > new configuration option to the Anaconda configuration files
> > (something like btrfs_compression_enabled = True). I guess you planned
> > to use interactive-defaults.ks, but we are going to replace this file
> > with the configuration files anyway.
> >
> > I have checked the Blivet's code and we might be able to redefine the
> > _mount_class attribute of the BTRFS class. The mount class defines
> > default mount options. That should be enough to fix all partitioning
> > methods. What do you think, Vojta?
> >
> I'm trying to figure this out, and am currently a bit stuck:
>
> - patching devicetree/fsset.py's `fstab` to ensure fstab contains
> compress=zstd:1 works, but the change only affects fstab on the
> installed system, so during installation compression is not enabled
> - patching devicetree/handler.py's `mount_options` to inject
> compress=zstd:1 does not seem to do anything
> https://github.com/rhinstaller/anaconda/compare/master...michel-slm:f34-34.23.1-btrfs-compression?expand=1
>
> - patching devicetree/handler.py's `get_device_mount_options` to ensure
> btrfs filesystems area always mounted with compress=zstd:1 does not
> work as expected (patching `set_device_mount_options` does not do
> anything either):
> https://github.com/rhinstaller/anaconda/compare/master...michel-slm:f34-34.23.1-btrfs1?expand=1
>

> Since I don't really want to hardcode this long-term (hardcoding in a
> proof-of-concept, or for the F34 release only, is not too bad) -- is
> Blivet the place to do this? What I had in mind is:
>
> - Some product definition in data/product.d specifies compression
> should be enabled
> - When that is enabled, Anaconda overrides the _mount_class of the
> BTRFS class it gets from Blivet
>
> ^ where in Anaconda's codebase can I do this? Trying to follow this in
> the code but it's not easy especially since there does not seem to be
> an example of another filesystem conditionally overriding the default

Hello,

I have talked to Vojta and we suggest the following solution:

1. Open a pull request with [0] in the upstream.
2. Add a new flag to blivet.flags for enabling the compression of
btrfs. It should be False by default. Modify [0] to respect the flag.
3. Open a pull request that sets up the new flag in Anaconda. Anaconda
sets the Blivet's flags in [1].
4. If you want, add a new option to the [Storage] section of the
Anaconda configuration file that will control the new flag. It should
be False by default. Set this option in the relevant product
configuration files located at [2].

[0] https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/python-blivet/pull-request/8
[1] https://github.com/rhinstaller/anaconda/blob/master/pyanaconda/modules/storage/initialization.py#L50
[2] https://github.com/rhinstaller/anaconda/tree/master/data/product.d