Re: btrfs compression by default

Hi Jiří, Vendula, all,

On Tue, 2021-02-09 at 12:12 +0100, Vendula Poncova wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 9, 2021 at 10:42 AM <jkonecny@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I see a few options for this. First is to add this directly to blivet
> > library as you pointed out already. However, I don't think blivet
> > developers would be happy about that because they are trying to be as
> > much as possible general purpose library and this change is really
> > just
> > about Anaconda.
> >
> > Another option seems to be to modify Anaconda code directly.
> > Unfortunately, I can't tell from top of my mind how hard that would
> > be
> > but still seems like the easiest solution.
> >
> > However, the best approach which I can think of is to add something
> > like that to our configuration files. Benefit would be that another
> > modifications like that could be done easily in the future. That is
> > of
> > course for a discussion for the Anaconda team because it could be
> > pretty hard to implemented this in some common form.
> >
> > Vendy, Vojta, do you have some better ideas or could you tell us
> > something more about my ideas above?
> >
> > Best Regards,
> > Jirka
> >
> > On Tue, 2021-02-09 at 01:18 -0500, Neal Gompa wrote:

> > > Eventually, VDO might get integrated into the mainline tree, so
> > > having
> > > the interface which could be used for LVM compression through VDO
> > > wouldn't be too bad.
> > >

> Hello!
>
> The change says: "On variants using btrfs as the default filesystem,
> enable transparent compression using zstd." It means that the
> compression has to be configurable per product, so we need to add a
> new configuration option to the Anaconda configuration files
> (something like btrfs_compression_enabled = True). I guess you planned
> to use interactive-defaults.ks, but we are going to replace this file
> with the configuration files anyway.
>
> I have checked the Blivet's code and we might be able to redefine the
> _mount_class attribute of the BTRFS class. The mount class defines
> default mount options. That should be enough to fix all partitioning
> methods. What do you think, Vojta?

I'm trying to figure this out, and am currently a bit stuck:

- patching devicetree/fsset.py's `fstab` to ensure fstab contains
compress=zstd:1 works, but the change only affects fstab on the
installed system, so during installation compression is not enabled
- patching devicetree/handler.py's `mount_options` to inject
compress=zstd:1 does not seem to do anything
https://github.com/rhinstaller/anaconda/compare/master...michel-slm:f34-34.23.1-btrfs-compression?expand=1

- patching devicetree/handler.py's `get_device_mount_options` to ensure
btrfs filesystems area always mounted with compress=zstd:1 does not
work as expected (patching `set_device_mount_options` does not do
anything either):
https://github.com/rhinstaller/anaconda/compare/master...michel-slm:f34-34.23.1-btrfs1?expand=1

Since I don't really want to hardcode this long-term (hardcoding in a
proof-of-concept, or for the F34 release only, is not too bad) -- is
Blivet the place to do this? What I had in mind is:

- Some product definition in data/product.d specifies compression
should be enabled
- When that is enabled, Anaconda overrides the _mount_class of the
BTRFS class it gets from Blivet

^ where in Anaconda's codebase can I do this? Trying to follow this in
the code but it's not easy especially since there does not seem to be
an example of another filesystem conditionally overriding the default
mount options.

I'll try and be on IRC early enough to get hold of one of the
developers tomorrow. The timezone difference is not making this easy!

Best regards,

--
Michel Alexandre Salim
profile: https://keyoxide.org/michel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx