Re: anaconda design mockups

On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 05:46:11PM +0100, Garrett LeSage wrote:
> I agree; that's why it's my opinion that there shouldn't be ads. I
> added the ad idea with 3-up as a solution to a few problems
> (mentioned in the mockup as well as in an issue on the repo's issue
> list).
> It's ironic that there are ads in a free software distro that
> highlights freedom. There's also the problem that all the current

I don't see that as particularly ironic. They're not revenue-based ads,
they're just information-sharing.

But I don't think they really serve that purpose very well, in any
case. I think their main function is to give you sometihng interesting
/ pretty to look at while the installer is doing slow, boring things.
Sometimes, you're stuck in a server room waiting for that to go by.

I suppose this is less of an issue now that all of the sysadmins /
operators have smartphones they can check social media on while the
install goes. :)

> and does not highlight the best of Fedora anyway. That's why I
> strongly believe the correct place for ransom-notes (installer ads)
> is not the installer, but start.fedoraproject.org, which is what
> shows up in everyone's browser after a fresh install.

start.fpo does do that, but as a separate design project, it'd be nice
to imaging a world where it doesn't. I know Allan Day wanted to go to
the blank new tabs display as more logical for the browser. And it
might be the case that in the future, we're shipping an umodified
upstream xdg-app Firefox without such local modifications. I certainly
don't think Anaconda is the place for it (so, sorry for the off-topic
aside here), but it'd be nice to figure out some _other_ way to connect
Fedora desktop users into project news and activity.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>