Re: BZ 1094856: screen redesign idea

Hey,

On 07/31/2014 04:28 AM, Vratislav Podzimek wrote:
The name and label are the least important items there so they should
probably be moved somewhere below the more important items (mount point,
size, device type, fs type).

Okay, thanks for the explanation guys!! - I didn't realize those fields were that infrequently used (I definitely don't use them because I just let the mount point field auto-populate them.) It makes a lot of sense to push them down so that the more important fields under them are more easily accessible, especially if you'd rather use the keyboard to navigate.

I came up with a few alternative designs based on that:

This one is a simple reordering based on importance / frequency of use. Although you'll note it comes across as a bit more cluttered than the first mockup:
http://linuxgrrl.com/fedora-ux/Projects/Anaconda/Sketches/Move-Device-Selection-Custom-Part/after.2.png

This one aligns stuff mroe tightly, and the label/name fields are stacked. (I put name at the bottom bc I am pretty sure that gets greyed out in some cases.) Still cluttered, but a bit less than the last one:

http://linuxgrrl.com/fedora-ux/Projects/Anaconda/Sketches/Move-Device-Selection-Custom-Part/after.3.png

This is the cleanest one but a bit of a pain. Basically stashes the name and label fields behind a disclosure. It might make a lot of sense to do this if they are so rarely used:

http://linuxgrrl.com/fedora-ux/Projects/Anaconda/Sketches/Move-Device-Selection-Custom-Part/after.4a.png

http://linuxgrrl.com/fedora-ux/Projects/Anaconda/Sketches/Move-Device-Selection-Custom-Part/after.4b.png

What do you think?

~m