BZ 1094856: screen redesign idea

Hi,

vpodzime mentioned BZ 1094856 to me earlier today in IRC. Basically, when you are in custom partitioning and click on the little wrench/screwdriver icon to get to the 'Configure Mount Point' dialog (so you can pick which disks/devices your mount point will live on), your selection doesn't apply until you hit the 'Update Settings' button on the right hand side of the main dialog.

This actually came up in a usability test this past Feb as well, so it's definitely not just one person running into the confusion. The issue is that the change is made in a dialog launched from the left, but the application button is on the main screen and towards the right.

So we had the idea in IRC to move the disk selection tool over to the right hand side, so the button would look more like it would apply to it. I also designed it such that there's a little 'preview' of the disks the mount point is associated with so it looks like you'd have to hit the update settings button (if that makes sense.)

Of course, being a designer and a pain in the ass, I made some purely aesthetic tweaks to try to help the flow of the screen and general cleanliness of the layout since we're adding yet another element to an already-cluttered area:

- I mocked this up with the widget labels vertically above the widgets rather than to the left. GTK+ should allow for this (and *hopefully* it's just a matter of tweaking a single boolean.) This gives the widgets a lot more room to breathe and enables the next point...

- I put the widgets in columns to group items that are roughly related together. For example, the volume group selection is now vertically grouped with the device type, whereas the filesystem is in a column to the right of that. The name and label and capacity are grouped together in one column since those are all kind of basic metadata kind of things, then the mountpoint and the disk selection are grouped together in the right column since they both vaguely pertain to the 'location' of the partition.

Anyway here is the before (as it currently looks in RHEL 7.0 GA):
http://linuxgrrl.com/fedora-ux/Projects/Anaconda/Sketches/Move-Device-Selection-Custom-Part/before.png

And here is the after:
http://linuxgrrl.com/fedora-ux/Projects/Anaconda/Sketches/Move-Device-Selection-Custom-Part/after.png

It kind of works, right? What do you think? Is the mucking about doable here?

~m