Re: feature or bug?

On 05/20/2014 02:54 PM, Colin Walters wrote:

On Sun, May 18, 2014 at 2:00 PM, Gene Czarcinski <gczarcinski@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The "OSTree" is new to me. I have not seen it previously mentioned.

It was a side project of mine for a while, but is now targeted for more production use in:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Atomic_Cloud_Image
Also, /usr/etc ?  Is this something new in Fedora 21?

/usr/etc is synthesized on the rpm-ostree compose side; it doesn't exist for traditional package installs yet, though some people wanted that.

Doing snapshots is only part of the solution. Then it is using btrfs-send to put baseline and delta files on some backup system. If your system goes tango-uniform then you can restore much easier with those backups. With respect to the backup of /etc, for restore I would bring back the shapshots and then selectively copy my updates from the snapshot to the new /etc.

Ah, you mean compute the delta by having a btrfs snapshot of /etc and doing the comparison vs that? Would mostly work except you're creating a snapshot of an *old* /etc that won't get updated as packages change.
Understand that and is why I consikder the compare and updat a manual thing.

Gene