feature or bug?

At some point in the last couple of Fedora releases, it was decided to eliminate /sbin and /bin and use /usr/sbin and /usr/bin instead. For compatibility, there are symbolic links in the root for bin -> /usr/bin and sbin -> /usr/sbin. Great! Do not have to worry anymore about the different locations for programs. BTW, a similar thing is done for /lib and /lib64.

Really simplifying things.

BUT (and here is the rub) anaconda (in rawhide) lets you put /usr on a separate BTRFS subvolume but it will not let you put /etc on a separate subvolume.

IIRC, the idea of /sbin and /bin (as well as /etc) was that it had to be there for the system to bootup and if it was on a separate partition, that could not be guarenteed. I am equating partition and subvolume as equivalent.

If I can put /usr on a different subvolume which will include /usr/bin, /usr/sbin, /usr/lib, and /usr/lib64, then I should be able to put /etc on a separate subvolume and anaconda should be enhanced to permit it.

On the other hand, if I need all of those directories, then anaconda has a bug and should be updated to disallow putting /usr on a separate subvol or partition or LVMlv.

My reason for bring this up is that I recently screwed up one of my systems and had to reinstall. Well, asside from the OS itself, I did have backups for /home and my development directories which are on separate BTRFS subvolumes.

To do backups, I use btrfs-snapshot and then btrfs-send for a baseline or delta. This proved to work well. I simply had the do btrfs-receive the baseline and install it in the new btrfs-filesystem. Then do another btrfs-receive for the delta.. Since both the restored snapshots are r/o, I could then do a new btrfs-snapshot to r=create a r/w subvol.

When I realized how well this worked and how easy it was to do, I wanted to do the same thing for /etc becuase I change a lot of stuff in it such as /etc/libvirt definitions.

OK, is putting /usr on a different btrfs subvol a bug or a feature?

Gene