Re: feature or bug?

On 05/13/2014 10:09 AM, Colin Walters wrote:

If I can put /usr on a different subvolume which will include /usr/bin, /usr/sbin, /usr/lib, and /usr/lib64, then I should be able to put /etc on a separate subvolume and anaconda should be enhanced to permit it.

That gets really messy though, because /etc/fstab is what contains the partition configuration...

When I realized how well this worked and how easy it was to do, I wanted to do the same thing for /etc becuase I change a lot of stuff in it such as /etc/libvirt definitions.

Right, the tricky thing with /etc is that it is a mix of OS defaults and your custom state. That's why the OSTree model introduces /usr/etc which holds defaults; so at any point, you can do "ostree admin config-diff" and get a diff of just your changes to /etc. You can then just back this up.

The reason OSTree needs /usr/etc is to implement upgrades - it ensures your changes propagate forwards.
The "OSTree" is new to me. I have not seen it previously mentioned. Also, /usr/etc ? Is this something new in Fedora 21?

OK, is putting /usr on a different btrfs subvol a bug or a feature?

I'd say it's an option. You can snapshot /usr and that's OK but it does lead to questions about /etc and the other major directories: /boot and /var. Basically if you use snapshots of /usr you get to keep both pieces (literally! ;) )
Doing snapshots is only part of the solution. Then it is using btrfs-send to put baseline and delta files on some backup system. If your system goes tango-uniform then you can restore much easier with those backups. With respect to the backup of /etc, for restore I would bring back the shapshots and then selectively copy my updates from the snapshot to the new /etc. I always assume that I will be re-installing the system so that it is my data and configuration changes I need to use for the re-installed system.

/boot on a btrfs subvol is interesting. I seem to remember cmurph mumbling something about wanting to boot off snapshots ... you know, that just might work! I think I will give it a try.

BTW, how about re-enabling btrfs subvols, btrfs volumes, and LVMlv in anaconda? With the updated grub2-2.02 and os-prober in rawhide, all you need is my grubby.c patch and, like magic, it works the way it is suppose to.

Gene