Re: Reworking the Keyboard spoke

> 2. If you're looking for a language which is part of one of these
> 'multiple' entries and isn't the first one, how are you going to find
> it? The list is pretty long, and you lose the alphabetical ordering.
> That is, say you're looking for 'Maldivian' - you're not going to be
> looking under the D's. I guess the list will/could be searchable,
> though? I think GNOME's is. (Of course, it'd be easier to type in your
> language name to find your keyboard layout if your keyboard layout was
> selected...bit of a catch-22 there :>)

Here's a slightly radical idea: what is it we're actually *gaining* by
trying to associate keyboard layouts with languages or locales or
anything else? If we're pretty sure we can get it right for most people
from the language selection screen - and I don't think we're doing too
bad a job of that - so most people won't need to visit the screen at
all, could we just present a big long list of all the layouts in
alphabetical order without any clever-clever language/locale
associations at all? It sure cuts the knot.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey