Re: Reworking the Keyboard spoke

On Thu, 2014-01-23 at 21:38 -0500, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> > On Thu, 2014-01-23 at 20:50 -0500, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> >
> >> Okay. I'm not sure if I understand the first problem - can one layout
> >> only be listed under one language/locale? And the Belgian layout was
> >> only shown under Dutch instead of Belgian?
> >
> > There isn't a language called 'Belgian', but there is a Belgian keyboard
> > layout. (This isn't the only example).
>
> Oh hm. Would organizing via locales rather than languages help?

I haven't investigated in entirely sufficient detail to answer that
authoritatively, but what I suspect is that there are cases where either
will lead to an unexpected result. (At present, the code falls back on
associating a layout with a locale only if it has no associated
language).

>  Is that
> what Vratislav's mockup is doing?

I believe instead it's about making it more feasible to list layouts as
associated with multiple languages. In the mockup the 'Crimean Tatar;
Crimean Turkish' and 'Divehi; Dhivehi; Maldivian' entries are intended
to illustrate this, I *think*.

If I'm right, now I consider it, I have two criticisms to offer:

1. Belgian people probably don't think of their layout as being
associated with any particular language. That's the *point* of the
Belgian layout, after all, I guess - to be appropriate (or at least
usable) for inputting either or both of Belgium's national languages
(French and Dutch). So I would hazard a guess that Belgian people would
consider the Belgian layout as associated with the country Belgium, not
with any of the three languages xkeyboard-config denotes it as being
associated with. Displaying its association with all three languages
rather than just one is probably *less bad*, and less potentially
divisive, but probably still not *the best possibility*. Of course,
we're well aware that achieving the 'best possibility' for every damn
case here, without special databases, is damn hard. :)

(FWIW, I did 5 minutes of Google research and found the Belgian layout
is pretty similar to French and may be considered rather more useful for
typing French than Dutch...but if any Belgians are reading, do chip in.
If you want to A/B French and Belgian layouts, see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:KB_France.svg and
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Belgian_pc_keyboard.svg )

2. If you're looking for a language which is part of one of these
'multiple' entries and isn't the first one, how are you going to find
it? The list is pretty long, and you lose the alphabetical ordering.
That is, say you're looking for 'Maldivian' - you're not going to be
looking under the D's. I guess the list will/could be searchable,
though? I think GNOME's is. (Of course, it'd be easier to type in your
language name to find your keyboard layout if your keyboard layout was
selected...bit of a catch-22 there :>)
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey